Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No. 3: Supranationalism

  The first thing I will say about this debate is that it was a close one in my eyes; both sides presented great arguments and rebuttals, however, my conservative mind took over and chose my side about halfway through. The only Con side I really liked was the loss of sovereignty. The independent authority to rule a geographical area or territory is something many developed nations enjoy, and supranationalism, in a sense, kills that. But that is a pretty good trade off considering what could be at risk in a time of conflict, especially for smaller European countries.
   My main reasons for siding with the Pro side is pretty simple: supranationalism facilitates national security and economic growth, the latter through removing trade barriers. I support supranationalism via my support for NATO. NATO has freed up trade among member nations and has allowed smaller European countries to be afforded a more secure atmosphere than in the past. Additionally, NATO has made warfare easier for member militaries through innovations, such as the Standardization Agreements, which includes the use of the 7.62mm NATO cartridge, which is the standard firearm cartridge in most NATO countries militaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment